[CentOS] Broken pipe

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sun Jul 23 17:05:29 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 09:44 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> I updated my x86 machine day before yesterday, and I noticed two
> things.  The clamav user and group was deleted, and not recreated, and
> when the makewhatis ran, I got a page full of "zcat: stdout: Broken
> pipe" entries.

I can't address clamav (Hello Clamav!  :-) but I also got the makewhatis
broken pipe. Haven't had time to pursue it. I just presumed (for the
moment) it was a side-effect of the same thing (whatever it was) that
left all the "...\#prelink\#..." files in /usr/lib, /lib/ /bin, ... et
al. This workstation has been very unstable since those appeared. My
current suspect is an interrupted "rpm --verify" which "un-
prelinks" (into a temp?) to check the md5 sum and/or a failure during a
yum update post (?) script that failed in prelink. And then I compounded
it in my ignorance by trying to manually run a full pass with only a
quick perusal (and little thought of possible omissions and
consequences). Naturally, it seg faulted partway through.

Seg fault is my familiar friend now.

> What gives with the makewhatis and clamav?  Was clamav

I only post here so you see some things that I think *may* be involved
and so the guru-ati might have enough clues to shed a cold light on the
problem.

> removed from the software?  I encountered no errors when the transaction
> check and transactions were run.
>
> Hints?

Wish I could offer more, but you lucked out this time!  ;-)

--
Bill