[CentOS] Intel VT-x & Xen

Leonardo Vilela Pinheiro

leopinheiro at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 22:56:13 UTC 2006

On 6/30/06, Bill Baird <Bill.Baird at phoenixmi.com> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> Just curious if anyone is currently using Xen 3 on any of the new Intel
> Xeon processors that support the VT-x extentions. With the VT-x (or AMD's
> Pacifica) you can run unmodified guest operating systems...so we are looking
> into buying a new server to run a few virtual machines of CentOS & a few
> with Windows. If anyone has done this, I would love to hear about their
> success/struggles...Thanks!
>
> --Bill
>
> Bill Baird
> Phoenix Marketing International  |  Director of Technology
> 6423 Montgomery Street, Suite 12  |  Rhinebeck, NY 12572
> 845-876-8228 x311 - Office  |  203-545-0437 - Mobile
> http://www.phoenixmi.com/

I´ve got such a machine (Intel SMP+VT) and now I want to test it with Xen.
I´d like to know how to install something (like Windows XP (: ) via VT on
it.

It seems to me that Xen is not stable yet. I´ve read somewhere that Redhat´s
gonna ship it in December 2006.

At this moment I´m trying Xen LiveCD 1.5 under Vmware - it´s really
beautiful, although not really using VT yet (Vmware doesn´t offer VT support
to the virtual machines, I thing). It has the option to create some Debian,
OpenSuse and/or Centos guest OSes. I´ve got some screenshots too.

I have a little problem with disk partitioning: there is a bad block in my
hard disk and therefore Acronis PartitionExpert (running Windows XP) will
not accept to change the *big* partition (need to free some space for
Linux). I need another tool. If you have any sugestion, please tell me.

--
Vilela