[CentOS] Statistics on stability?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 16:55:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 12:45 -0300, Eduardo Grosclaude wrote:

>         Thank you for your point, on which I wholly agree, but I was
>         taking "stability" as "a measure of velocity in change" of a
>         system's components-- here reflected in a shorter or longer
>         life cycle for each version.

Seems like a bad concept - if something is broken in the initial release
you really do want the change that fixes it...

> Er... I'm back from Wikipedia, and found (cough) no traces of
> "stability" as the proper word for what I meant, but come on, think
> Debian stable/unstable, that stuff :S

This is probably spelled out somewhere in the 'upstream version'
documentation, but security-related fixes are made available
as needed and bugfix updates are batched infrequently.  Version-level
application updates are almost never done. I consider it the 'right'
amount of stability for servers where the programs have been
feature-complete for years but it is getting on the old side for
desktop apps now.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com