[CentOS] RPM questions about trying to build php-ldap --with-ldap-sasl

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Jul 24 21:25:36 UTC 2006

hi,

Michael B Allen wrote:
> Hello CentOS People,
> 1) The php-5.0.4-5.centos4.src.rpm builds 17 packages. Is there anyway
> to instruct rpmbuild to only build 1 of those packages? Is there a way
> to hack the php.spec to only build 1 package?

not without redoing parts of the spec file. in most cases, its a waste
of time. just build the whole set and use that, or just use the
subpackages you need.

plus there is the chance that some of the sub-packages need / rely on
the main package / other sub-packages also being there..

> 2) Is there a way to specify a configure option with rpmbuild? I know
> PHP's configure accepts --with-ldap-sasl but trying to simply pass that
> as an argument to rpmbuild does not work.

do you have the required devel stuff installed ?  ( i havent actually
looked at the php binaries as yet, so cant confirm the options its built
with  )

> 3) Where is config.log? After running rpmbuild it is nowhere to be found.

depends on how far down the road you killed / dropped the rpmbuild
process - otherwise look in the BUILD directory under you rpm-build-tree.

> 4) I suspect I will need to experiment with changing the .src.rpm contents
> and rebuilding the package(s). However, because rpmbuild unpacks the
> archive anew each time, it overwrites any changes I attempt to make. Is
> there a way to instruct rpmbuild to build from an existing build dir?

make a patch, and incorporate that patch into the .spec file.

also, btw, 5.0.x tree of php got obsoleted yesterday in favour of
php-5.1.x, so you might want to try with that instead.