[CentOS] Building a new 2.6 kernel

John Warren jwarren at prudentrx.com
Tue Jul 25 01:46:41 UTC 2006

Success, well 98% success anyway.

New kernel boots just fine if you leave it alone during the boot but I have
run into one small problem that I home someone may have seen before.

During the boot Kudzu starts up. If you leave it alone and let it timeout the
boot completes. If you enter the Kudzu then the boot will hang. If you
CTRL-ALT-DEL the system will do a clean reboot. If you enter Kudzu it wants to
remove the Generic modem driver.

System config for serial ports: One Mainpine OCT+ ports ttyS05 thru ttyS12,
plus it sees ttyS20 the control port for the Mainpine, plus two modems on
ttys00 and 01.

If you boot from the default kernel you will only see ports part of the
Mainpines ports plus the two modems on ttys00 and 01 but Kudzu never starts.

I suspect Kudzu is seeing the additional ports now that the kernel is build to
use them but I don't understand why it causes a problem with booting.

Anyone ever seen this?

Thanks to all that have help me get this far. You guys have been great.