[CentOS] MySQL on tmpfs?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jul 27 19:26:54 UTC 2006

Mike Kercher schrieb:

>>>A foolish idea to me. You imagine what happens if the
>>>

>>machine hangs up?
>>
>>I wasn't going to say anything because he used "mount", not
>>"create", "generate", "make", etc. I presummed he just wanted
>>to mount the directory there. No harm, but no goin either. In
>>fact, a very smal teensy-weensy loss probably, due to the
>>extra step to get to things.
>>

>>>Alexander
>>>
>Thanks for the input folks!
>
>Mike

Besides the usual optimization like using best perfomance SQL statements
and a good database layout you should take care for the [mysqld]
key_buffer setting (/etc/my.cnf). This is RAM usage of MySQL and the
place where the database engine tries to put as much of the indexes into
it as possible. Ideally MySQL can get all indicies into the buffer.
Using the STATUS variables key_read_requests and key_reads you can test
whether the key_buffer is big enough: key_read_requests should be at
least 100 to 1000 as big as the key_reads. It is reasonable to give the
key_buffer 20% of the RAM you want to let MySQL use in total.

Alexander

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/presentations/presentation-oscon2000-20000719/index.html