[CentOS] rsync help

Melinda Odom

info at designhosting.biz
Thu Jul 27 23:31:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am using rsync to backup from my server to a backup server that has been
setup.

I can back up a directory with numerous files and folders and restore them
but I have not learned how to "exclude" a specific folder from the rsync
backup that runs via cron nightly.

I have tried these:
rsync -av -cache/ -e ssh /home/httpd/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/
name at backup13.gnax.net:/fooname/domain
rsync -avr - cache/ -e ssh /home/httpd/vhosts/domain.com/httpdocs/
name at backup13.gnax.net:/fooname/domain

I need to exclude these folders on every domain that is backed up:
cache/
download/
pub/

I have also read the man pages but am not understanding.

How would I accomplish this?

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Melinda Odom