[CentOS] Installing mysql on v4.3 x86_64

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 17:02:28 UTC 2006

> I´m running this machine inside VMware Server and VMware package was
> installed once, but I´ve removed it. I also have removed some two i386 other
> packages that were installed, and also some (one or two) i686 packages.
>
>  As you can see, yum is asking to install i386 and i686 packages. It was
> expected to ask only for x86_64 , wasn´t it?

Not really. There are x86 packages in the x86_64 tree for compatiblity
reasons. Since you didn't specify "which" arch you want to install, or
exclude, it matches the first one it hits, which is the i386 version.
This has been covered at quite some length in the mailing list
archives, on the order of around 2-3 times a month. Mostly, you can
exclude the x86 arches, or give the install a specific arch to look
for. Search the archives for exact syntax.

George Orwell