[CentOS] ethernet card name eth1 randomly changes

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Mon Jul 31 19:48:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 14:14 -0400, QKnoX List Subscriptions wrote:
> im having problems installing my nic card. my eth1 keep on renaming
> randomly to dev****. whenever i change the ifcfg network scripts at
> sysconfig and reboot, the nic tends to renamed randomly. i have tried
> changing this thing from davicom to 3com nic's.
>
> dev6278   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:02:91:01:6D
>            BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>            RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 oveHWADDR=00:01:80:3B:58:A9rruns:0 frame:0
>            TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>            collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>            RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
>            Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdf00
>
> any one experienced this already? suggestions are highly recommended.
> thanks guys!

IIRC, this is a common problem when multiple NICs are in place. IIRC,
one way is to include params in /etc/modules.conf (used to be - now
modprob.conf?). But an easier way, I think is to modify

   /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0/

to include something like

  HWADDR=00:01:80:3B:58:A9

replacing the hexidecimal numbers with the MAC address of your card.

I think this new-fangled GUI stuff has a way to do it with a panel.

> eric
> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--