[CentOS] Motherboard recommendations

lnthai2002 at aim.com

Wed Mar 1 04:08:27 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Trainor <dan.trainor at gmail.com>
Sent: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:18:58 -0700
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Motherboard recommendations

  Bowie Bailey wrote:
> I have been building my systems with Abit IS-10 motherboards, but
NewEgg has
> stopped carrying them, so I need to switch to something new.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on a solid motherboard that
works well
> with CentOS?  I need a motherboard with built-in video, LAN, and
SATA.  I
> don't need RAID or any other fancy features, just something cheap and
solid.

> I've been looking around, but there are lots of boards that look like
they
> would work and I know nothing about any of them.  I was just
wondering what
> you guys are using.
>
> Thanks.

Hi, Bowie -

This might be out of your target price range, but we just received 32
Intel SR1425BK1-E based systems a few weeks ago, and to tell you the
truth, they're the most rock-solid motherboards I've ever used.  Period.

Looks like the board alone will run anywhere between $450-500 USD, but
my experience tells me that it was well worth it.

You can find more information here:

http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/SE7221BK1-E/index.htm

They've been running CentOS 4.2 flawlessly for about two weeks now under
extremely heavy load, and we haven't seen any problems.

Hope that helps
-dant
Are you running commercial server? 450-500 USD for a motherboard is too
much. I have Asus p4s8x(the worst and cheapest motherboard that asus
has been produced) running centOS4.2, fedora 4, gentoo without any
problem and I can even play most game in windows XP. I got it 2 years
ago for 50USD, now you can find less than that. It is a piece of crap
for gammer but i works fine with centos.
THAI