[CentOS] Problem with large tar file.

CentOS-List at jamesplace.net

Wed Mar 1 06:53:11 UTC 2006

I have just completed installing CentOS 4.2 (I came over here from Fedora-Land
(core-3)). I did this via a fresh install. I tar'd everything to an external
drive reinstalled the new stuff and everything is working very well.

I've just got one issue. I have a full system backup Backup.tar that has a
size of 78,717,880,320. When I issue the command tar -xvf Backup.tar I get
only about 111MB of data restored. Basically /root and a couple other odd
things of little consequence.

I did have a second backup made with cp -pR <stuff> <dest> so I've still got
my all my stuff from which I can selectivly restore as needed but I'm
wondering why tar didn't work?  (While being very glad I made two backups.)

Is there a max size limit to a tar file?
A bug in tar?
Curiosity plagues me.

Thanks for any help.