[CentOS] Advice on setting up Raid and LVM

Fajar Priyanto

fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Thu Mar 2 11:44:13 UTC 2006

Hi all,
I'm setting up Centos4.2 on 2x80GB SATA drives.

The partition scheme is like this:
/boot = 300MB
/ = 9.2GB
/home = 70GB
swap = 500MB

The RAID is RAID 1.
md0 = 300MB = /boot
md1 = 9.2GB = LVM
md2 = 70GB = LVM
md3 = 500MB = LVM

Now, the confusing part is:
1. When creating VolGroup00, should I include all PV (md1, md2, md3)? Then
create the LV.
2. When setting up RAID 1, should I make those separated partitions
for /, /home, and swap? Or, should I just make one big RAID device?

The future purpose of using LVM is I want to be able to expand any partitions
that would run out of space into a new disk.

Thank you very much.
http://linux2.arinet.org
18:35:53 up 4:55, 2.6.15-1.1830_FC4 GNU/Linux