[CentOS] Moving files to new server

Sun Mar 5 16:14:38 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 11:01 -0500, Thomas E Dukes wrote:

> [...]

That depends on if you will need to add additional space later
specifically to those places.

We put lots of stuff in home in our server set ups ... and var has lots
things (like logs) that grow.  If you use LVM on your machine, you can
add new drives (Physical Volumes / PVs) and add space to other
partitions.  In this senerio, having things like /tmp and /var and /home
on separate partitions helps to more easily add things.

But if the hard drive you have is not going to need to be added to for
the lifetime of your install ... then having more than the 3 basic
partitions is adding complexity that is probably not required.

(With the exception of maybe home on a separate drive and partition ...
I do this with my main workstation.  So that I can do a new install on
another machine ... then move my home drive over.  This is helpful when
do upgrades to new OSes, etc.)

For a normal setup though, where the machine is not probably going to
switch to a new OS, I normally just do a swap and /boot and root
partition.