[CentOS] Moving files to new server

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 01:30:24 UTC 2006

On 12/03/06, Thomas E Dukes <edukes at alltel.net> wrote:
> > > The rsync works fine.  I used it to copy /home /var and /etc to the
> > > new server.  But something went wrong.  I think I copied
> > something in
> > > /etc I shouldn't have.  The system won't mount the drive.  I am
> > > currently re-installing CentOS.
> > >
> > > Any idea of what I SHOULDN'T copy?
> >
> > I would not copy /etc since it stores all setting files. Most
> > likely it is /etc/fsatb file that is creating problems as
> > your new system is looking for drives/partitions/lables that
> > probably do not exists or are named differently on new system.
> >
> > I would be selective in coprying /var too.
>
> That was my thinking also.  I made a backup copy of /etc/fstab but it would
> not let me overwrite the fstab that was copied.  Unfortunately, I need most
> of the config files in that directory and sub-directories.  Knowing which
> ones to copy and not to copy could be a very lengthy experience.

Can you rebuild the new machine? If you can then make sure that the
orders of partitions is same as the old one and so are the lables and
drive is also same (hda or hdb or sda...), variations in size should
not be problem.
Alternatively (and much better) why not edit the fstab file instead of
overwriting? This is best done with something like Knoppix boot and
not with running OS.

> What should I be careful about coping in /var?

Normally I would say copy mail spool databases web root but leave
everything else. But this highly depend on what you were running.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux