[CentOS] Apache, fastcgi, ruby-on-rails etc.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 12 16:45:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 17:33 +0100, Michael Metz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've read a bit about fastcgi, and wondered if it might be an
> interesting solution for e.g. running php in a user-switched environment
> or running ruby-on-rails etc.
>
> But I wonder why nobody (searched on Google) seems to use CentOS with
> mod_fastcgi for Apache 2.x.
>
> And I also wonder why people actually using Apache 2.x and ruby-on-rails
> with CentOS did run a lighthttpd-fastcgi inbetween and reverse-proxying
> requests from Apache to lighthttpd to actually forward them to RoR
> running as fastcgi.
>
> Could sombody please give me a hint?
----
my original efforts at setting up ruby on Fedora, I used lighttpd
w/fastcgi and it was fairly easy to set up.

my current 'production' system is using CentOS 4 & apache w/ fastcgi and
it was a little more effort to get working but it works and is fine. I
really don't want to bother with also running lighthttpd at this point
(and then using apache to proxy the rails stuff to lighttpd at this
point, primarily because it's not an issue and I'm lazy and I believe in
keep it simple).

I think the reason that people do things like that is because they need
to run apache on the system for some stuff which will tie up ports
80/443 and then lightty can't use them so it has to use other ports and
you simply proxy the paths to the lightty application and their specific
ports. This allows the speed of lightty and the user/dns simplicity of
url's without using the specific port assignments which would
necessarily have to be used when running lightty on a system already
runing apache.

Is that what you were looking for?

Craig