[CentOS] Centosplus & CentOS Extras, Enlarge your tent , Cuckoo repos

Jim Smith jim_smith2006 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 16:38:53 UTC 2006

--- Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> But it is rude and off-base, in my opinion, to call a dedicated
> third-party
> packager 'cuckoo' simply because they do it differently, or because
> they HAVE
> to replace large parts of the core distribution to get their
> packages to
> work.  The CentOS base package set is showing its age, as are all
> other RHEL4
> rebuilds, and RHEL4 itself; this is one of the downsides to using
> an
> 'Enterprise' Linux.
Not cuckoo repos, don't misquote me- THEIR DEVELOPERS ARE LIVING
IN A CUCKOO WORLD & they do not respond to feedback nor work with
other developers. This is why you have apt, apt-devel and synaptic
in all the repos.

> Now, as to why someone would want to 'Fedorize' their CentOS rather
> than just
> run Fedora, well, there are some instances where such a thing is
> useful.
> Again, I use the Kstars example; one might say 'well, why not just
> run
> Fedora' to which I would answer 'I don't want to completely
> reinstall
> machines every six months; besides, KDE-RedHat exists and works
> fine, and I
> get the base stability of the CentOS kernel and glibc, and I then
> can
> leverage my standardization on CentOS 4 for all my servers'.  I
> have been on
> the Fedora roller-coaster, and I don't like it.  Although I may
> have to deal
> with the CentOS roller coaster (since I will probably upgrade to
> CentOS 5
> once such a beast is in the pipeline, because the preview in FC5 of
> what is
> likely to be in RHEL 5 is compelling for upgrade, at least on
> desktops), at
> least that roller coaster is on a longer cycle.

You cannot have your cake and eat it. What will happen when the
stuff in the Fedoralized repo begins to churn out FC5 stuff? If you
want fedora stick to fedora. If you want a stable enterprise distro
go for RHEL/CentOS.

Have you run wine/winetools from winehq.com versus the fedoralized
one? Which one works and which one doesn't?