[CentOS] Printing from apps as a regular user...

Jose Alburquerque

jaalburquerque at cox.net
Mon Mar 13 17:57:53 UTC 2006

Hi.  I mostly use my system as a super-user and so I can mostly do
everything without worrying too much about permissions.  Not too long
ago I created a "general" user account which is automatically logged in
after a few seconds for others to have (limited) access to the system.
Mostly everything works (ie. CD/DVD writing, sound, floppy access,
etc.)  But when it comes to printing, only a specific "lpr" at the
command prompt does the job.  I've tried printing from mozilla, ggv and
firefox without success.  The funny thing is that an app such as gedit
does print.  (I'm guessing it's because gedit uses some sort of a2ps ->
lpr combination).  I have an Epson Stylus C82 connected via a USB cable
and my system is running CUPS.  Can anyone enlighten me?  Thanks so much.

Sincerely
Jose