[CentOS] mail/access revisited

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Mon Mar 13 19:58:06 UTC 2006

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Saturday 11 March 2006 23:31, Sam Drinkard wrote:
>
>> have listed to pass thru.  I also thought perhaps there might be some
>> "upper limit" to the number of entries sendmail could handle.  What do
>> the sendmail guru's think about that idea?  I may reduce the number of
>> entries from the current 275 +/- down to just the most offensive TLD's
>> and see what happens.  Short of that, are there any other thoughts ya'll
>> might have as to why it still passes the stuff I want blocked?
>>

> On the upper limit issue, here's some output from a machine I help with (I am
> not the mail admin on this machine, though, and I don't necessarily agree
> with doing anti-spam with REJECT lines in access....):
> [root at www mail]# ls -l access
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 1120618 Feb 22 06:36 access
> [root at www mail]# pwd
> /etc/mail
> [root at www mail]# wc -l access
> 38628 access
> [root at www mail]# grep DISCARD access|wc -l
> 3121
> [root at www mail]# grep REJECT access|wc -l
> 35480
> [root at www mail]# grep RELAY access|wc -l
> 4
> [root at www mail]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 4.2 (Final)
> [root at www mail]# rpm -q sendmail
> sendmail-8.13.1-2
> [root at www mail]#
> Yes, thirty-eight thousand six hundred twenty-eight lines.  Works fine.  I
> don't think 275 entries hits any upper limit.

Hmmmm...

Lamar, I am really puzzled now.  If it works with that many lines in the
access file, there has to be something else causing it to not read the
221/222 and others, but I'm at a loss to know what.  I know perms and
ownership is not the problem, nor is the makefile, as I've already
double checked all that.  Guess it's time to do a bit more googling, or
delve into the sendmail docs a bit further.

Thanks for the info..

Sam