[CentOS] Installing CentOS SPARC

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Mar 14 15:04:31 UTC 2006

Quoting Henry Rodriguez <henrucho_rodriguez at yahoo.com>:

> --- Tony <pthagonal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/9/06, Henry Rodriguez
>> <henrucho_rodriguez at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm trying to install CentOS SPARC, but the
>> problem
>> > comes after i make "ok boot cdrom", the machine
>> starts
>> > to boot, but i get the below ouyput
>> > \
>> > Remapping the kernel... Fast Instruction Access
>> MMU
>> > Miss
>> > ok
>>
>> Can you try switching off auto-boot, then trying
>> again- I think I remember
>> seeing this on a netra T1 I was playing with a few
>> months back.
>> So do something like:
>>
>> ok setenv auto-boot? false
>> ok #.
>> lom> poweroff
>> lom> poweron
>> ok boot cdrom
>
> After i did what you told me, i got the below output:
>

> ok setenv auto-boot? false
> ok #.
> lom> poweroff
> lom> poweron
> ok boot cdrom
> Boot device: /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1,1/ide at d/cdrom at 0,0:f File
> and args:
> Can't read disk label
> Can't open disk label package
>
> Can't open boot device

The original problem you had ("Fast Instruction Access MMU Miss") is
some strange thing that happens if you had Solaris kernel running on
the machine after last power-cycle.  Just turn the machine off and then
on to solve it.  I've seen that on all Sparc boxes I had access to
(mostly Ultra 1 and some Netra boxes).

For the second problem (after you power cycled machine), it's kinda
strange.  Can you check that your cdrom is really on
/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1,1/ide at d/cdrom at 0,0?  The above message could also happen
if media was not in the drive (if working remotely, have somebody check
if CD got ejected or something) or if the media is corrupted (try
burning another CD).

The setting of auto-boot variable shouldn't have any impact on either
problem you were experiencing (the only thing auto-boot controlls is if
after poweron you'd go to "ok" prompt, or the machine will start to
boot -- it's usefull mostly during installing or troubleshooting so you
don't need to babysit machine and race to send break before it starts
to boot).

--
See Ya' later, alligator!
http://www.8-P.ca/