[CentOS] RFI: recommendation for temperature monitoring

Kari Salovaara kari.salovaara at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Mar 15 22:22:34 UTC 2006

Bob Chiodini wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 23:56 -0800, Benjamin Smith wrote:
>> Google is your friend:
>>
>> A search for "linux cpu temperature"
>> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozilla&q=linux%20cpu%20temperature
>> returned this link (#2)
>> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0110.0/0609.html
>> which has a link to
>> http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/
>>
>> lm_sensors is part of the CentOS 4.x package:
>> [root at kepler migrate]# yum list | grep lm
>> cyrus-sasl-ntlm.i386                     2.1.19-5.EL4           base
>> cyrus-sasl-ntlm.x86_64                   2.1.19-5.EL4           base
>> lm_sensors.i386                          2.8.7-2.40.3           update
>> lm_sensors.x86_64                        2.8.7-2.40.3           update
>> lm_sensors-devel.x86_64                  2.8.7-2.40.3           update
>> mailman.x86_64                           3:2.1.5-33.rhel4       base
>> squirrelmail.noarch                      1.4.3a-12.EL4.centos4  base
>>
>> -Ben

> Bob Chiodini wrote:
>
> Kari,
>
> If you are running X, gkrellm has temperature "builtins", and requires
> lm_sensors configuration as, I suppose, is documented in the above
> links.
>
> gkrellm will also readout the RPMs for the fans.
>
> http://members.dslextreme.com/users/billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html
>
> Bob...

Thank You Sirs of Your kind answers. Only problem is that I can also
use Google and I can look what is included in CentOS 4.2 (updated).
That's why I specified motherboard (and of course forget to define
chipset which is Intel 955X/ICH7R.

1) lm_sensors in CentOS 4.2 is old 2.8.7, at the moment 2.10.0 and
recommended kernel is >= 2.6.11 !

2) sensor-detect doesn't find any sensors, message ;
"Sorry, no chips were detected.
  Either your sensors are not supported, or they are
  connected to an I2C bus adapter that we do not support.
  See doc/FAQ, doc/lm_sensors-FAQ.html, or
  http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/lm_sensors-FAQ.html
  (FAQ #4.24.3) for further information.
  If you find out what chips are on your board, see
  http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/newdrivers.html for driver status."

3) I tried to compile according to guidelines fro documentation, message
# make user
"make: *** No rule to make target `sysfs/libsysfs.h', needed by
`lib/sysfs.ad'.  Stop."
Now I'm a little confused from which library ? Where should I find this
sysfs/libsysfs.h
No big deal !

Conclusions:

My motherboard and chipset are too new for lm_sensors in CentOS 4.2.
I'll just wait and see if there will be an updated version someday.
(See some other thread of Sata drives and monitoring in this mailing list)

Thanks of Your attention !
Kari

--
Kari Salovaara