[CentOS] RedHat 7.3 or Centos 2.1

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Thu Mar 16 11:36:43 UTC 2006

Oliver Schulze L. wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a server that have an aplication that runs on RH7.3
> and in Centos 2.1
>
> Currently, it runs RH7.3 with yum updates from fedora-legacy
>
> My question is, should I update to Centos 2.1 or stay in RH7.3?
> What are my advantages of migrating to Centos 2.1?
>
> My concern are more about security updates in the next 2 years.

Have you tried running your application on CentOS 3.6 or 4.2?  If it's a
binary-only application, it should still continue to work if you install
the compatibility libraries.  That's likely a much safer choice if you
want timely updates for the next 2 years and you get the benefit of more
current tools/kernels/etc.  I wasn't even aware that 7.3 was still
officially supported....

Cheers,