[CentOS] Mixing FTP and HTTP file transfers

John Hinton

webmaster at ew3d.com
Thu Mar 16 16:18:56 UTC 2006

How do I deal with this?

A content management system which writes to a user's directory as user
apache.

A customer that wants to be able to FTP through a FTP client and vsftpd
those same files up and down, which is presently set to work with only
their username.

I don't want everything set 777 or even 707. Is there a way to allow a
particular user to download and upload files owned by apache, and I
would assume, when uploading, those files will need to be chown apache
so the CMS can access and update them?

I'm looking for a best solution which is not going to be troublesome in
the future and which is not going to have adverse effects on security.

Thanks,
John Hinton