[CentOS] CentOS 4.x - Kickstart

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 01:36:46 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, Tom Brown <tom.brown at goodtechnology.com> wrote:

> > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-kickstart2.html
> >>

> >> IMO, the 2 best options are PXE or take boot.iso and modify the 'ks'
> >> entry to point at a ks.cfg file on a web server.
> >
> > Or, use the boot.iso and
> >
> > 1. Do "linux ks=http://your.config.server/ks/ks.cfg" at boot prompt
> > 2. Drink morning coffee, read RSS feeds, or chat at water cooler
> > 3. Reboot new server
> >
> > If you've got a fully patched installation tree and decent
> > configuration-management setup, it often takes less than 30 minutes
> > from booting the boot.iso image to putting a machine into full-bore
> > testing or even production.
> >
> thanks all thats _exactly_ what i'm after

We also had good luck with NFS mounted installation trees, but our
security gurus have NFS phobia, so we've switched to the http method
as well, and it works like a champ. The only drawback is that we do a
fair amount of customization (desktops, not servers), and with http
you can't just mount a directory and execute scripts. So, I create a
tarball of the %post scripts and untar it to run the %post
customization steps. Once I have all the customization steps down for
the ....4 release, I won't have to recreate the tarball on an
hourly/daily basis <grin>.

This is RHEL4, of course, but it works the same for CentOS.

--
Collins Richey
      The agnostic dyslexic insomniac lies awake wondering if there is a dog.