[CentOS] Re: swap_free messages in log

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Mar 17 21:52:43 UTC 2006

Jerry Geis spake the following on 3/17/2006 12:21 PM:
>> Jerry Geis spake the following on 3/17/2006 4:46 AM:
>>> / This morning I noticed the following message in my log file.
> />>>/ swap_free: bad swap file entry 10000000
> />>/ swap_free: bad swap file entry 20000000
> />>/ swap_free: bad swap file entry 10000000
> />>/ swap_free: bad swap file entry 20000000
> />>/ a few more times...
> /.>/ />>/ After rebooting I no longer see it.
> />>/ I have an intel 865 motherboard, 2.4 celeron,
> />>/ 2 - 300GIG seagate sata drives as software RAID-1.
> />>/ />>/ I have had to reboot the machine sometimes
> />>/ but there were never any messages on the console
> />>/ or the log files.
> />>/ />>/ Before my 300GIG drives I used to run 2-120GIG drives
> />>/ and had the same problem. An occasional reboot fixed it.
> />>/ I got new drives and I still have some issue?
> />>/ />>/ Any thoughts on something to try? Thanks.
> />>/ />>/ Jerry
> />Is swap mounted on a raid1 device or something else?
>
> I had formatted sda2 and sdb2 as swap partitions not part of RAID.
> This is for centos 4.2 with all latest updates.
>
> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> /dev/md0                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/md1                /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> LABEL=SWAP-sdb2         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> LABEL=SWAP-sda2         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
I have had better luck by running the swap on a raid1 partition. Otherwise, if
the drive fails, the swapped out stuff will "disappear", and sometimes take
the machine with it. I'm not sure if the LABEL entries work for swap AFAIK. If
you don't want the swap on a raid1 device, then change the label entres to
point directly to /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2.