[CentOS] Mirror Mirror on the wall

Barry Brimer barry.brimer at bigfoot.com
Sat Mar 18 14:59:11 UTC 2006

> Technically CentOS is not the slowest, as Whitebox takes the wooden
> spoon but you get the general idea. :)

I feel that the CentOS team does an outstanding job.  I have never used
any other RHEL rebuilds, because CentOS is the clear leader in RHEL
rebuilds.  Nothing is more important than quality, and no one does it
better than CentOS.  In many ways, CentOS has a harder job than Red Hat
does.  Regardless of how the CentOS engineers might choose to solve a
problem, they are committed to following in Red Hat's footsteps, no matter
how difficult it is.  CentOS also adds value on top of RHEL by providing
the centosplus software, and by supporting architectures that RHEL
doesn't.  I'm certain that rebuilding SRPMS on architectures that were
never considered in the original packages takes a great deal of skill,
expense, time, and effort.  You may have also noticed that CentOS placed
2nd out of all other distributions for Linux distribution of the year in
Linux Journal Magazine.  I also find it remarkable that CentOS provides
rebuilds of RHEL 2.1, 3, and 4.

It is unfortunate that you are not satisfied by the tremendous efforts of
the CentOS team.

I feel that the CentOS team does a remarkable job.  I use CentOS on
many servers and workstations to perform a wide variety of tasks.  I have
never once been disappointed.

Barry Brimer, RHCE