[CentOS] Darwin Streaming Server (was Re: Build on CentOS 4?)

Chris Mauritz

chrism at imntv.com
Sun Mar 19 16:58:22 UTC 2006

Steve Pflaum wrote:
> Hi-
>     I'm having trouble getting DSS to run on CentOS 4. Has anyone
> successfully compiled the source on this platform?
>
> It looks like the DSS linux binary version was built using gcc 3.2 and
> an older version of glibc so the symbol names in the libc files are
> different which is why it will not run.
>
> Can anyone help?

I haven't built it in a while, but the last time I think I was using 3.5
and it built right out of the box once I installed the compatibility
libs and turned off the SELinux bits in the kernel.  The latter may not
be necessary if you don't mind all the error messages in the logs.  I'd
also suggest turning off iptables until you settle on which ports you'll
be using, then you can lock it back down.  It works pretty well.  I
ended up going with QTSS running on a dual G5 since I had a spare one
laying around and QTSS includes all the fancy management tools that are
missing from DSS.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me.

Cheers,