[CentOS] ls --author ?

James B. Byrne

ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
Mon Mar 20 16:35:58 UTC 2006

I want a script to determine the owner of a particular file and
then "sudo -u <thatuserid> <somecomand>". I ran across the --author
option of ls but that does not seem to give me anything useful.  It
prints a short form of the filename without any other information
at all.  In fact, the output of ls --author is indistinguishable
from that of ls by itself:

> # ls --author htdocs/*
> htdocs/hlllogo.png
> # ls htdocs/*
> htdocs/hlllogo.png
> #

Is there a linux command that will return just the userid in a form
that can be passed to sudo or do I have to parse ls -l <filename>?

I am digest subscriber so, if you could provide one, the favour of
a direct copy of your reply is requested.

Regards,
Jim

--
     *** e-mail is not a secure channel ***