[CentOS] Re: patches and current CD's [dnk]

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Mar 20 19:05:25 UTC 2006

dnk spake the following on 3/20/2006 9:48 AM:
> I was reading another thread, and this stuck out at me:
>
> "This issue was fixed by the CentOS team
> (and integrated into our install CD) prior to it's release by the
> upstream provider."
>
> As patches and such are released - are they integrated into the current
> CD's right away? So say for example, I downloaded the server CD a few
> months ago, then re-downloaded, would the patches from point a to point
> b already be integrated into the cd's?
>
> Thanks!
No. When a CD is released, it is frozen at that state. I think the only reason
it might be patched would be for some sort of installer problem, but that
would most likely be caught in testing "before" the cd images were released.
The 4.2 cd is the same now as it was when released, and will only be replaced
with the 4.3 cd. You just run a "yum upgrade" after the install to bring the
system current. After the yum upgrade, a system installed from a 4.2 cd will
be the equivalent of a system installed with a 4.0 (or 4.1) cd. But only after
the yum upgrade.