[CentOS] Re: Safety

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Mar 20 23:33:57 UTC 2006

Gilles CHAUVIN spake the following on 3/20/2006 3:12 PM:
> On 3/20/06, Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl> wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that U3 will have the same kernel.  As such it would
>> probably be best to fix this now, instead of waiting for U3 to come out.
>> Could you tell us when the kernel panic happens?  Processor? i586?
>> i686? architecture? single? multiprocessor? ... etc ... any options with
>> which it works (like noacpi & others).
>>

> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 4
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
> stepping        : 1
> cpu MHz         : 2799.397
> cache size      : 1024 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 5
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni
> monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
> bogomips        : 5521.40
>
> $ sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
> Password:
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VG00/root
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/sda1
> default=1
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title CentOS (2.6.9-34.EL)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-34.EL ro root=/dev/VG00/root
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-34.EL.img
> title CentOS (2.6.9-22.0.2.EL)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL ro root=/dev/VG00/root
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL.img
>
> For now, I'm running the -22.0.2 kernel since this is the last kernel
> known to work on that hardware. I upgraded 5 PCs. 3 of them have the
> exact same hardware and the exact same failure (kernel panic).
>
> One of those server isn't in production yet so it would be possible to
> do some testing. The above informations were gathered from a remote
> SSH session. I cannot give more details for now and I won't be able to
> tell more about that problem until next wednesday.
>
> Gilles.
Is this a name brand server or a whitebox?
Maybe if you have details on what hardware is in it.
Does it by any chance have a nvidia chipset?
Will it boot with kernel options like -noapic or -noht
Maybe a check for a bios update on the system not in production.