[CentOS] Re: lphdisk and kickstart partitioning - laptop install

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Mar 21 20:11:56 UTC 2006

Robert Moskowitz spake the following on 3/21/2006 11:33 AM:
> At 11:59 AM 3/21/2006, Scott Silva wrote:
>> Robert Moskowitz spake the following on 3/21/2006 7:29 AM:

>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html
>>

>> > I have spent hours reading this and trying to read 'between the lines'
>> > already, before I asked here...

>> are a0.
>> >
>> > yes.  that is why I turned to asking.

>> right
>> >
>> > Fine. I am even willing to run it completely after the install.  But
>> > what do I do for creating the partition?   Do I just do a dummy mount
>> > point like /suspend  ?  An fstype of ext3?  And how do I specify a
>> > primary partition (and do primaries have to come before ext3
>> > partitions?  Have not found text on this.)
>> >
>> > And then use some other tool ????  that will remove the mount point and
>> > change the fstype to a0 before running lphdisk?
>> >
>> > Or do I leave part of the disk not in a partition and use some other
>> > tool to prepare the partition for lphdisk?
>> >

>> You could make a dummy partition the right size during the install,
>> and not
>> assign it to a mount point.
>
> I could not find out if mount point was optional.  Now I know.
>
>>  Then after it boots, you could use fdisk to change
>> the partition type. I would not format the partition, but it shouldn't
>> hurt if
>> you have to,
>
> I see the noformat option for part.
>
>>  and the partition used to need to be the first, or at least a
>> primary partition.
>
> Doesn't the boot partition need to be first?  Then the suspend would
> come after it?  Followed by the LVM then swap partitions.
>
>> The best option would be to find a rescue disk with this
>> utility on it, and use it first to create and format the partition. Then
>> during the install, choose the option to use free space to install.
>> BG-Rescue Disk has it;
>> http://omnibus.uni-freiburg.de/~giannone/rescue/current/
>> and so does RIP;
>> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/looplinux/rip/
>
> thanks. I forgot to bring blank CDs with me.  But it has been pointed
> out that my Centos boot CD has something worth using.
>

> "Two percent of the people think;
> three percent of the people think they think;
> and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think."
>
> George Bernard Shaw
The boot partition doesn't need to be first, it just should be completely in
the first 1024 cylinders. Depending on the size of the disk you could easily
fit the suspend and boot partitions in that space.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and