[CentOS] yum failing

Bob Chiodini robert.chiodini-1 at ksc.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 22 16:16:22 UTC 2006

No solutions, but some things to try.

Did the clean all really "clean all"?  /var/cache/yum/...

Here:  Before clean all:

ls /var/cache/yum/base
cachecookie  headers  packages  primary.xml.gz  primary.xml.gz.sqlite  repomd.xml

After clean all:

ls /var/cache/yum/base
headers  packages

headers and packages were both empty.

You might also try updating just yum.  The latest is:

yum-2.4.2-2.centos4

That being said: I've also had to edit the conf file to use the baseurl
and not the mirror list.  Just to get through a rough spot, then
reverted back (fedora/rawhide).

Also, as a workaround try excluding policycoreutils.  If that gets you
through any other updates, then it's something specific about that file.
You could then download it and install by hand.

Any messages in the syslog? Network errors, or AVCs?

It's interesting that policycoreutils was the first header when I ran
yum this morning.

Bob...