[CentOS] futex.. How to remove lots of duplicate packages

Adam Gibson agibson at ptm.com
Wed Mar 22 19:05:25 UTC 2006

Dave wrote:
> This is the second time on a version upgrade that I've been hit with
> the futex wait issue. Last time I hung with about 5 packages to go,
> this time it hung with about 50 packages on the clean up. Now I have
> loads of duplicate packages, any way to search and/or remove them
> without trying to do it manually?

I have had this happen a few times in the past too where yum failed
after installing about 100 out of 125 packages.  This causes the cleanup
to not get done for the 100 that were installed.

I tend to not use a yum update that would update all of the packages at
once when I know a bunch of updates are pending like going from one
release to another for that reason.

I get a list of all updates and update them one by one so that if yum
fails in the middle only the last update(and dependencies for that one
update) would be affected.

It would be nice if yum had an option to do this(perform cleanup after
each package is installed).  I created a script to do this(I called it
safeyumupdate.sh) but I can't seem to find it anymore.