[CentOS] Partitioning advice

Barry L. Kline blkline at attglobal.net
Wed Mar 22 20:33:26 UTC 2006

William Warren wrote:
> it may help if i state the server's purpose.  The server is going to
> host a non-profit's website and streaming audio.

There have been quite a number of discussions about this top in this
group, so I'll not repeat them.  Just take a few moments and search the
archives for them.  They'll range from "just let Disk Druid do it" to
"many partitions for many purposes."  You'll find some good reading and
lots about the various strategies for partitioning.

Once your head stops spinning from all of the different scenarios you'll
find discussed sit back, take a deep breath and relax.  Most of the
advice about proper sizing has been rendered moot by the addition of
LVM.  You can change sizes on-the-fly, so you don't have to be so anal
in judging the initial sizes.

Barry