[CentOS] how tell what process has port 22

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Thu Mar 23 04:57:05 UTC 2006

>On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 11:30:47PM -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
>>/ I had trouble with the update to 4.3.
/>>/
/>>/ /usr/sbin/sshd -d -D is telling me some other process is
/>>/ using port 22 and cant bind to it.
/>>/
/>>/ How do I tell what program that is and stop it?>
/
># netstat -tupan | grep 22

Ray,

THanks for the reply. This does not output anything on port 22???
It has process numbers with 22 in it but the ports were like :111
and something else... No 22.

What might be stopping sshd from working.

debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_3.9p1
debug1: private host key: #0 type 0 RSA1
debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
debug1: private host key: #1 type 1 RSA
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: private host key: #2 type 2 DSA
debug1: rexec_argv[0]='/usr/sbin/sshd'
debug1: rexec_argv[1]='-e'
debug1: rexec_argv[2]='-d'
debug1: Bind to port 22 on ::.
Server listening on :: port 22.
debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
debug1: rexec start in 4 out 4 newsock 4 pipe -1 sock 7

As you can see it wont bind to the port???

If sshd does not startup would that affect httpd also?

THanks,

Jerry