[CentOS] Problems Formatting /boot With CentOS 4.3 on a DL360 G3

hkclark at gmail.com

Thu Mar 23 22:09:31 UTC 2006

I have been trying to install CentOS 4.3 on an HP DL360 G3 (with dual
Xeon 3.2 GHz, a Smart Array 5i, and two 36 GB disks doing RAID 1
mirroring).  I'm doing all defaults (including the disk and LVM setup)
and using the "Minimal" checkbox at the bottom of the Custom machine
type package selection screen, so it's a very "vanilla" install.  It
zips through the "Formatting / file system..." just fine in a couple
of seconds.  When it gets to "Formatting the /boot file system..." it
quickly moves up to about 90-95% complete, and then it totally locks
up... the mouse quits moving, the animated cursor locks up...
everything.  I even left it overnight just to be sure and still the
same.

But, when I stick in a CentOS 4.2 CD, it runs fine.

Also, I ran a media check on the 4.3 CD and it checks out fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
HKC