[CentOS] kernel source

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Mar 24 11:20:37 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 March 2006 21:12, Andrew Zahn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install the kernel src rpm that I've downloaded from the
> CentOS ftp, kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm. I hope to compile the kernel
> with XFS enabled. However, I have tried to simply run:
>
> [root at se4 ~]# rpm -iv kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm
>
> and it complains back:
>
> warning: group builder does not exist - using root
> warning: user builder does not exist - using root
> warning: group builder does not exist - using root
> warning: user builder does not exist - using root
> warning: group builder does not exist - using root
> warning: user builder does not exist - using root

these are just warnings, the src.rpm got installed ok

> then an rpm -q kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm says:
> package kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm is not installed
>
> Anyone know what is going on??

files just get dumped into /usr/src/redhat/{SPECS,SOURCES}, it does not
updated the rpmdb.

> ps. I have tried to install the CentOSplus kernel with xfs and that is
> completely unstable for me.

then give up on this way because recompiling with -22 with enabled xfs is
exactly what was done for the -22 centosplus kernel. I'd suggest one of:
* wait for the new and improved centosplus kernel with fresh xfs
* build an external xfs module (suggested by a previous poster)
* use a kernel.org kernel (like maybe 2.6.15.6)

either way you go it's a, in more ways than one, unsupported setup.

/Peter

  Peter Kjellström               | E-mail: cap at nsc.liu.se
  National Supercomputer Centre  |
  Sweden                         | http://www.nsc.liu.se