[CentOS] module kernel for adaptec 2110s in CenOS 4.2

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Mar 24 15:09:57 UTC 2006

Quoting iagosineiro at yahoo.es:

> Now when I boot it didn't boot correctly. Looking for in Internet
> (http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_46_4969.shtm) I guest that I have to
> rebuild the initial ramdisk to contain the proper kernel modules for the
> adaptec controller. But what is the kernel module for 2110s in kernel 2.6.x?
> I also have to adding a line in /etc/modprobe.conf, but I don't know the
> format for that.

Newer Adaptec RAID controllers usually use either aacraid or i2o_block
driver (the DPT I2O based controllers).  If your's is using aacraid,
you'll see the volumes as /dev/sd*.  If it's using i2o_block, than
you'll see the volumes under /dev/i2o/hd*.  Try booting off
installation CD into rescue mode and see what modules get loaded into
the kernel.

Word of warning, i2o_block device driver seems to numerate drives in
different order than BIOS, and depending how it is loaded it might
numerate them differently (for example, I always get different order in
rescue mode than when system is booted normally).  In some cases,
you'll need to instruct your boot loader what the BIOS thinks is the
first drive (for example, I had trouble with LILO and this controller
in the past because of that).

--
See Ya' later, alligator!
http://www.8-P.ca/