[CentOS] dovecot vs Cyrus-Imapd

Bob Pierce

pierceb at westmancom.com
Fri Mar 24 23:14:03 UTC 2006

I'm just preparing to build a new mail server for use at an ISP handling
over 10,000 mailboxes and several domains.

We're currently using Qmail, but we'd like to move away from that since
we have now changed our inbound mail systems over to Postfix.

Postfix will be receiving the mail, and I'm trying to decide between
Dovecot and Cyrus-Imapd for the POP & IMAP service.

Does anybody have any advice or opinions about which of these two
packages would be better for a large installation. I'd prefer if the
package could tie into MySQL for user authentication, and all mailboxes
will be virtual in the sense that they won't have local system accounts.

Thanks for your help.
Bob.