[CentOS] Another server hosed

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 21:07:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 13:20, centos at 911networks.com wrote:
> Benjamin Smith wrote:
> > I'd really like to know what this turned out to be...
>
> It was sendmail that would hang during the boot. At that point
> the startup would wait, wait and wait...  I do not need sendmail,
> so I disabled it from the startup.

That means it's really DNS that's broken - and/or you don't
have an entry for localhost in /etc/hosts.  Sendmail likes
to be able to resolve names for all of your interfaces so
it knows what mail it should accept and it will try pretty
hard before giving up.  My guess is that you had the
caching-nameserver package installed but had local changes
to named.conf that where needed to make DNS work.  An update
to caching-nameserver wipes out local changes.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com