[CentOS] network monitoring systems

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at digitalpath.net
Thu Mar 30 23:20:06 UTC 2006

> > If I had to give some requirements....
> > - Free (as in speech and beer) or low cost
> > - SNMP capable
> > - ping / fping options
> > - GUI (http, I'd guess) of some sort for monitoring
> > - TCP connect options
> Checkout http://www.opennms.org/  It may suit your needs,
>
> Craig

Ditto on OpenNMS.  Rock solid system and very fast.  It can be kind of a
bear to configure (XML configuration files and testing even simple changes
sometimes require you to restart the entire monitoring system which can
take a while), but once you get the thing set up right, it just works.

It does graphing as well, but I prefer to use Cacti for that.

Ray