[CentOS] Re: Please help! boot problem

Mace Eliason meliason at shaw.ca
Mon May 1 19:55:50 UTC 2006

Scott Silva wrote:
> Mace Eliason spake the following on 5/1/2006 12:29 PM:
>
>> Scott Silva wrote:
>>
>>> Mace Eliason spake the following on 5/1/2006 12:13 PM:

>>> less /boot/grub/grub.conf and post please-- just to be careful.
>>>
>>> Okay I have booted with linux rescue and skiped the network setup, and
>>> skiped the next part and gone right to the shell.
>>>

>> If I type grub-install it says no such file or directory.
>>
>> I tried less /boot/grub/grub.conf same thing.
>>
>> I did boot with the centos cd as if I was installing and used manual
>> partion to see if the partions where still there and they are.
>>
>> No sure what to do now.  I will try and search for  grub-install.  I am
>> assuming that I am searching the cd?
>>
>> Mace
>>
> You can't skip the part about mounting your existing system. You will need to
> do that, and after it mounts, run chroot /mnt/sysconfig.
> That should make all the commands run on YOUR files instead of the bootdisks
> running system.

Okay I didn't skip this time and it did a search and says "You don't
have any Linux partitions. Press return to get a shell. The system will
reboot automatically when you exit from the shell."

What the?

If I goto the shell and run fsdisk /dev/sda it shows I have 3 partitions
with /boot set for booting.

I do get that?