[CentOS] Re: Rebuilding Raid 1

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon May 1 23:50:02 UTC 2006

Mace Eliason spake the following on 5/1/2006 4:32 PM:
> Can anyone answer this question:
>
> What happens if one drive is out of sync with the other.  One drive has
> 1 month newer files on it, but its not the boot drive.
>
> If I let Centos boot from the older version will it automatically
> rebuilt the raid 1 to the second drive?????  (bad for me)
>
> Or do you have to manually do it??

With raid1 arrays, you don't actually boot from a partition, you boot from the
raid array such as /dev/md0. The raid code should know if the array is out of
sync and will leave the bad drive out of the array. Your array will be in
degraded mode, but should boot.
Then you can add the other partitions back to the array and they will re-sync.
You just have to be careful that you add the proper partitions back to the
proper arrays.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and