[CentOS] Hanging @ Sendmail During Boot

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Tue May 2 08:42:26 UTC 2006

On 02/05/06, Paul Schoonderwoerd <paul at pollux-it.nl> wrote:

> This sort of timeouts is usually due to nameresolution problems, either it's
> own name or other names, and Sendmail relies heavily on it.
> As I recall RedHat is known for not putting a proper entry for it's own name
> in /etc/hosts, so check this. Also check the output of the 'hostname'
> command.
> Then check that the entries in /etc/resolv.conf point to the right
> dns-servers, either your internal dns-server(s) or your isp's.

Seconded that. If your /etc/hosts is empty then add something like:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost youserver.yourdomain yourserver

You may ad more lines including other servers in format "IP
ServerName.Server.Domain" One IP may have more than one name. Of
course starting bind also is a help as by default it is set for cahing
name server.
HTH.

--
Sudev Barar