[CentOS] Suggestions on initial CentOS 4.3 Install packages

Phillips, Tod

TPhillips at douglasfurniture.com
Tue May 2 21:05:07 UTC 2006

Hello, all...

I'm attempting to learn Linux (on a CentOS setup) by doing something
productive at the same time. I've already installed it twice...once with
a "full, just install everything" setup and another by following the
Perfect CentOS 4.3 Web Server Setup instructions on HowToForge.com.
Though I've had issues with both, I have a lot of patience and time is
not a big concern.

What I'd like to do is get some advice from the community on a good
initial setup for my system by listing out some of the things I hope to
do:

1) Set up a test Web Server for development of a soon-to-be-deployed
rework of a client's website (I'll host the production site w/ an
outside company).

2) I'd like to learn PHP and Apache while I'm reworking the site.

3) Learn all there is to know (ok, maybe just enough to not be
dangerous) about securing the server.

4) Develop a program, most likely in C/C++, that can talk with my
Company's mainframe and its communications software, either through web
services/xml interfaces or directly through some sort of COM / .NET
equivalent. The end result would be an application that can run on any
Linux box with an Internet connection, giving users the ability to
access and modify mainframe data, enter orders, etc.

5) Be able to retrieve email, surf the net, write and read documents
(general office stuff) to become both more familiar with Linux apps AND
to keep from needing to run to a different PC for these needs when they
arise.

I know I'll need the X Windows and Gnome stuff, but I'm concerned about
dependencies and/or conflicts between the packages necessary for
everything I want to do. I certainly want to use the Terminal prompts
whenever possible -- particularly for setting up the networking and
Apache server -- so that I can begin to learn Linux/Unix.

The question really becomes: Can I do it all on one box or am I going to
create a nightmare for myself because of overlapping programs that
"hijack" critical functions from the web server, or vice-versa? I erased
my original install (with everything) because it seemed more important
to me to learn what it was I needed and install it manually later on if
and when the need arose. Good thinking or...?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated,
grayfire1229 at netscape.net