[CentOS] Anaconda allows x86_64 CD/DVD to be used to install i386 system

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue May 2 21:24:03 UTC 2006

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> As subject says.  I just noticed that Anaconda allows x86_64 CD/DVD to
> be used to install i386 system (using network installation, of course).

errr... you mean its installing i386 packages from the x86_64 media ? I
find that very hard to believe......

> This is basically broken.  For example, yum will believe that it is
> installed on x86_64, not on i386.  So when you do for example yum
> update, it will try to install x86_64 packages on i386 system.  Which

errr.. no it wont. take a look at how yum decides arch...

> isn't going to fly, since installed kernel is 32-bit (so you get broken
> executables).  It can also play havoc with postinstall scripts that will
> detect they are being run under 64-bit kernel during installation, but
> resulting system is really 32-bit.

Can you provide some details on howto reproduce this ? a copy of the 3
files in /root from postinstall would be nice. maybe post them somewhere
online and a url here.