[CentOS] Can't Access Samba Running Linux Box From XP

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Wed May 3 11:34:00 UTC 2006

Hi All,

more info on this,

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = MSHOME   #Same as windows box

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
   hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.255.0.0   #correct subnet

# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
In this
# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
# sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
# as many users as required.
;[myshare]
   comment = Locally shared directory, Cisco
   path = /home/racket/downloads/cisco
   valid users = mark anne      #user mark has ben added to Linux box
with a password
   public = no
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   create mask = 0765

Quick question; In Linux, the path has / but shoud I specify / or \ in
the path in Map Network Drive in Windows? Also, when I first click
Finish, I'm given a  Connect to localhost.localdomain window with,

Connecting to 10.0.0.3
Username: mark
Password:

which I then enter password, but, it fails and returns,

User name: HOME-HEHBBZSUYZ\mark   #Windows box Hostname
Password: ............

Why is that? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.