[CentOS] Anybody ever done 6 monitors on one server before? :)

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Thu May 4 22:56:19 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 15:59, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
>
>> My boss wants to put together a Network Operations Center, with a
>> network monitoring server as the centerpiece.  He wants that server to
>> have 6 monitors: 4 for network monitoring tools (rrdtool, etc) and two
>> for running commands and the like (ping, traceroute, etc).
>>
>> I know that with the right video card(s) you can have two monitors, but
>> has anybody had 6?
>>

> If you can hide the other PCs you can use one monitor each but
> pretend they are all one with http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/
> to make them share the same keyboard and mouse.

There's also the possibility of using 2 or 4 LARGE flatscreen monitors
and muliple windows for the various chores.  Unless your PHB is hung up
on having 6 physical monitors, you can probably accomplish the same
thing with a pair of 30" LCDs and a nice 'n purty X Window manager.  2 x
30" LCDs is a lot of screen real estate and a lot less complex to put
together.

Cheers,