[CentOS] Re: Centos/RHEL with MGE UPS Protection Centers (usb)

J.J.Garcia

stigmatedbrain at gmail.com
Mon May 8 06:35:42 UTC 2006

comments online,

> The problem with this howto is that the shutdown process will NOT
> work as expected. (This is why I ccd you, J.J.Garcia). (See below)

Thanks a lot Antoine for the feedback, my fault for not checking a full shutdown
with newhidups as i used to do with the serial-line models! i was hopping that
the new second unit i bought (usb one) work fine as the old serial i previously
had :(

> I ended up modifying the fedora rpms to add those hotplug files so
> that newhidups works as expected. The source rpm can be found here:
> http://www.gymglish.com/opensource/rpms/centos4-rpms/nut-2.0.2-2brx.src.rpm
> but it would be nice to have those hotplug files directely in the nut
> fedora
> rpm, since they are in the nut package.

At this point, and having that mgups guys should also include /etc/issue
detection for CentOs during mgeups install (as Arnaud told me in the past) i
raise a question: Are they going to include a new release in the mgeups
repository for RH based systems? I don't know how this kind of 3rd party pkgs
are integrated in the main stream and at the same time im not the one to tell
how to do it but just to clarify this now having you release the new rpm.

I would like to know the feedback from CentOs maintainers as well.

> I use the following /sbin/halt.local script now, and my shutdown process
> works fine:
>
> ############BEGIN##################
> #!/bin/bash
>
> if [ -f /etc/killpower ] ; then
>     # if USB is already disabled, re-enable it. (needed by newhidups)
>     if [ ! -f /proc/bus/usb/devices ]; then
>         echo "Mounting USB filesystem"
>         mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb
>     fi
>     # newhidups is dynamically linked to libusb in /usr
>     if [ ! -d /usr/lib ]; then
>         echo "Mounting /usr filesystem read only"
>         mount -o ro /usr
>     fi
>     # newhidups wants to go into /var/run
>     if [ ! -d /var/run ]; then
>         echo "Mounting /var filesystem read only"
>         mount -o ro /var
>     fi
>
>     # hotplugging is probably off, so run driver as -u root
>     echo "Killing the power, bye!"
>     /sbin/newhidups -u root -k mgeups
>     sleep 20
>
>     # uh oh... the UPS power-off failed
>     # you probably want to reboot here so you don't get stuck!
>     # *** see the section on power races in shutdown.txt! ***
>     echo "Killing the power failed ! (/sbin/halt.local)"
>     sleep 20
>     echo "Rebooting."
>     reboot
> fi
> ##################END##########################
>

> I am pretty happy with the MGE Protection Center UPS hardware,
> but the integration with Centos/RHEL is pretty bad currently,
> and this is a shame. I hope my post will make things easier for
> new users and in the future.

I agree with that and also i think MGE ppl have affordable hardware with good
facilities to check the status of these units (really dont know how many people
are using this units but i think there should be a lot, my company is using
several units also) and integration with RHEL and based systems IMHO could be
better.

Again, thanks a lot for you hints Antoine

Salut vieux poilu! :)

Jose