[CentOS] SELinux vs. Shorewall

Michael Best mbest at pendragon.org
Fri May 12 01:48:36 UTC 2006

Kirti S. Bajwa wrote:
> Hello List:
>
> This question is anybody who has experience with Firewall security using
> SELinux and Shorewall!
>
> I am in the process of setting up a new LINUX system. I have read about
> SELinux Firewall in CentOS 4.3. I am wondering if someone can shed light on
> Shorewall Firewall vs. SELinux Firewall.
>
> I have not used either one of these Firewalls even though I once (2 years
> ago) tested setting up Shorewall Firewall. I liked the concept and design of
> Shorewall, however, I prefer using SELinux, because it part of CentOS setup.
>
> Any suggestion and discussion is highly appreciated.
>
> Kirti

Perhaps you should continue to do some reading.

Shorewall is a firewall of sorts, it's more of a front end for
IPTables/Netfilter.
http://www.shorewall.net/shorewall_index.htm#WhatIs

SELinux is a system access control package.
http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-selg-en-4/selg-preface-0011.html#RHLCOMMON-SECTION-0072

That being said, there may be some conflicts between these software
packages, I have not tried them together as of yet.

-Mike