[CentOS] CentOS mailing list probe message (fwd)

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri May 12 17:21:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 18:07 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2006, Charles Lacroix wrote:
>

> > Woops, i would sugest changing your password ie, the one printed into the
> > bounce message :)
> >
> > I hope you are not using this for anything else than mailling lists :)
>
> Thanks :) Actually it was a generated password (which mailman does if you
> don't specify one). If I use passwords, I have them randomly generated by
> Revelation with a size of 16. Consequently, I don't know any of those
> passwords by heart. And thanks to Revelation, I don't have to.

Is it just me or ...

Putting a password, regardless of source, into a "probe", which by its
very existence seems to have a higher likelihood of interception, seems
foolish. If there is a problem along the intermediate steps (if any) and
somebody is examining stuff, for righteous or nefarious reasons, ...

--
Bill